Sunday, March 13, 2011

46 Days without Booze

Readers--This post is a little more serious than others but it is to set up a series that I am sure will make you giggle.

Four years ago, I was miserable to say the least. I was extremely over weight, unhappy, and trying to figure out what to do with my life. I went on a 2 week jaunt through Europe in the hopes I would find what could make me happy. I recently read the journal I kept during that trip--boy was that depressing. It made the Diary of Anne Frank look uplifting. In one entry I wrote, "I am hoping that I return home with the ability to make myself happy. I hope I find something or someone that will make me come alive again, as I feel as though I have lost a lot of what used to be me." (Cue horrible Gavin DeGraw song) When I returned home, I uploaded my pictures and was appalled at what I saw. For the first time, I saw what I felt the whole year before, I was HUGE. I remember sitting on my couch in DC and making a promise to myself, that I would never again look that way. And so began the journey of getting in shape and loosing weight. I dropped 20lbs that first summer and ran my first half marathon by the fall. It was the first time in my life that I made a goal for myself and truly stuck to it. Flash forward 4 years, I am still not where I want to be as far as my physical appearance, but I feel like a better person. I have lost a significant amount of weight, run 3 half marathons, and am pursuing what truly makes me happy. For all that know me--I am living the dream. I say all of this to not only give you some back story, but to remind myself that I can do something when I put my mind to it.

We are in the beginning of Lent season-the time where certain religious types identify a material need and promise to "give it up" for 46 days. In my opinion many that honor this season, don't do it to show how much they love and follow the Lord, but rather to prove to themselves that there is a difference between needs and wants. For some, it is not about the religious reasons but rather personal growth. I have always had the best of intentions to give something up for Lent, but never seem to do it. This year is different....

Pretty much all of you know me, and know that I enjoy friends, comedy, and social drinking. Last week, I was talking with a friend about our social drinking habits. We came to then conclusion, that Winter in Chicago=boozefest. It is the only way to keep warm!! Sparked by this realization and the inspiration from a mutual friend, we decided that we would honor Lent this year by giving up drinking. Yes, you read correctly....I am giving up alcohol for 46 days. Starting from last Wednesday and ending on Easter Sunday.

I am sure many of you are already laughing and shaking your heads, but here I am on a Sunday morning not hung over, blogging about serious life changes, and drinking a grande coffee (not for the aide but for the taste). I made it through this first weekend with out a drop of alcohol. And no, I didn't avoid bars and social drinking situations. In fact, on both Friday and Saturday night I went out with friends and sipped on diet coke and water. (I was going to go for the Shirley Temple, but I didn't want to get too crazy).

This weekend was not a tough one to get through, as I realized that life here is not all that hard. In the wake of the horrible tragedy happening in Japan right now, I came to the conclusion that 46 days with out drinking was nothing. There are far worse things that could happen.

For the next 41 days (5 down already), I have made a promise to myself to become a better me. I am pretty sure that if I could keep a promise much like this 4 years ago, the happy Becca can keep this simple and easy promise now.

What will you get out of it? Well every Sunday I will write a re-cap of the week that was. I am hoping that there will be some good stories about temptation, other drunks, and what the heck people do when they aren't drinking.

So raise your glass (I hope you are not drinking this early on a Sunday) and wish me good luck!

Taubel--OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment