Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snow, Snow and More Snow

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is snowing in Chicago and it hasn't stopped for 2 days. I am not sure how to deal with all of this. There are some snow mounds that are taller than me. There are some snow mounds that have covered cars. There are some snow mounds that look as though they need a bath and a call to weight watchers. Pause-for your fake laughter at my unfunny joke.

It was so bad on Tuesday evening, that motorist left their vehicles stranded on a major road because it was projected they would spend 14 hrs in their car due to accidents and weather. THAT IS SOME SNOW!

There have been some pluses to this increase in snow, and true to form, I am detailing them below. Enjoy!

1. Chicago Public Schools called off school for the first time in 11 years, and I got 2 snow days. I have spent the last 2 days doing laundry, cleaning, writing sketches, and of course drinking. Sigh--just when you think I am becoming an adult. It has been AWESOME to have no responsibilities or obligations. I could totally go for this life...ah the life of a teenager. Coming from Georgia, I was surprised that snow days were not all that common here. In the south, if there is a hint of snow, everything shuts down, and the local store is sold out of bread and milk. Why these two items--I am not sure. What the hell are you going to make with just milk and bread? And furthermore, Georgia, in what universe will you be trapped for more than 1 day? And if you were, milk and toast for 2 days sounds horrible. I did no such preparation for this storm, matter of fact, all I had in my fridge was old pizza, frosting, yogurt and wine (we will get to this in #2). So take note Georgians, you can make it too!

2. Speaking of wine, the last two days have allowed me to catch up on some much needed wine tasting. And by wine tasting I mean, finding the cheapest bottles at the corner liquor store. The man that owns this liquor store stayed open through out the blizzard. 2 points--Man who owns the liquor store! I was 1 of about 12 people in the store on Tuesday. See in Chicago, we stock up on things that are useful--Alcohol. I made the milk and bread joke to the owner as I slammed my 4 bottles on the counter. "Who needs milk and bread when you got the important things. Am I right?" He looked confused--maybe it was my delivery, the unfunny joke, or again, buying milk and bread in a storm makes NO SENSE! I proceeded to ask if everyone was buying a lot of booze to make it through. His response, "People are buying some alcohol. Not as much as you, but yes they are buying some." My response, "Listen bud, I don't know how long I am going to be trapped." His response, "I think you will be out by Wednesday night and if not, the wine won't solve all your problems." I just got iced by the liquor store guy, but maybe is tough love approach was right...alcohol can't cure everything. Or can it?

3. Now I am not completely a lush with no sense of what is good for my body and soul. Yesterday, I attempted to go out in the snow. I was headed to the gym--2 Points Taubel! I missed my bus, so in the spirit of being healthy and fit, I decided to walk there--2 Points snow! I felt like I was in the Legends of the Hidden Temple set and at any moment one of those warriors was going to jump out and try to kill my purple barracuda ass. For serious, I am pretty sure, had Ethan Hawk been there, we would have done a remake of Alive and the final assent to find rescue. By the time I got to the gym, I lost about 10lbs, feeling in my face, and my sanity.

So that has been my 2011 Blizzard experience. It has been full of memories and life lessons. Tomorrow it is back to school, where my room will be discussing the importance of snow boots and survival techniques.

Taubel--OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment