Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Family Tradition?

*This post is dedicated to the Mel B., Erin, The Captain,Leigh, and "The Cat's in the Cradle and the Mama's dead."*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bPyXwBn_Q

The link you see is to a commercial from Amica Mutual Insurance. It talks about family traditions being apart of everyday health. While I don't disagree that a healthy family is able to have long lasting traditions, I wonder if Amica realizes what the normal family tradition is.

The commercial follows a family that does a Triathlon every year together--even their aging father jumps in on the fun. Now, I am all for getting in shape and being physically fit, but come on Amica. A triathlon as a family tradition? Is this a flash forward 15 years to what Lance Armstrong and his family will be doing?

Let's get real Amica--family traditions are Sunday brunch after church, arguing at Thanksgiving dinner about which sibling shows their dedication more by calling and visiting the most, or every Monday night cooking breakfast for dinner (wink wink ladies).

I get that you want us to get off our ass and start doing things, but frankly your commercial makes me feel bad, not only about myself, but my family traditions--none of which include any type of physical exertion. How about next time you try to warm the hearts of Americans, make a commercial about a family having passive aggressive conversations while sitting in front of a t.v. watching a football game. Or you can give us a snapshot of a family that takes out a whole case of wine in one evening and then wakes up to a family hangover. (yes these are my family traditions and I couldn't be prouder!)

Thanks Amica but no thanks...family triathlons are for overachievers, the Armstrongs, and your busted ad team.

Taubel--OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment