I am beyond pumped right now...no not because Glee is back and rocking my world daily(btw last weeks episode was AMAZING...I was glad to see Fox taking a serious turn on so many subjects--deep post about that to come). I am excited because Nelly is BACK ladies and gentleman! Yup, the creative mind that gave us Country Grammar, Dilemma, and Hot in Here is back on the scene and rocking my iPod daily...well really hourly.
For those of you who have been in a hole and have yet to experience the poetic genius that is "Just a Dream," take a second, youtube that shiz, send me a thank you email, and then write a fan letter to Nelly--GO! I am telling you, this song is full of little life lesson gems. Furthermore, it has a beat that cause a little bounce within me. People tend to stare at me on the train when I am listening to this ditty. Mostly because I am mouthing the words (it takes unbelievable self control to not sing aloud), but also because I am obviously dancing (horribly at that).
Let's dissect this AMAZING piece of pop culture:
1. The song starts with the hook, "I was thinkin' bout her, thinkin' bout me, thinkin bout us, what we gonna be, (something I can't decipher) in my eyes, it was only just a dream." I realize I could Google the lyrics to figure out what that part is but I like to insert my own renditions "throw up in my eyes" is what I am going for right now. This is one hell of an opener. Nelly you have me hooked (pun intended). What happened? Where did she go? I hope you will tell me!!!
2. Great opening line "I was at the top now it's like I'm in the basement. Number 1 spot now she findin her replacement. I swear now I can't take it knowin someone got my babay....I should put it down and got that ring." Oh there is so much to dissect here. There is the slight Beyonce "Single Ladies" reference, but I would love to talk about how you compared emotions to the floors in a house. BRILLIANT!! Like Let me tell you, I would totes rather be on the top floor of a house then in the basement. Like I get it Nelly, when you are on the top floor you can see out of the windows to the world in front of you. You are trying to say at the top we can see into the world (or love). However, in the basement we are cold, dark and cut off from the world (or love). YOU ARE SO DEEP!!
3. Then Nelly gives us some serious info when he sangs, "my lover, my life, my shawty, my wife. She left me I’m tight cause I knew it just aint right." NOOOOOOO ok Nelly damn, I am sorry. This lady you are singing about, was the love of your life and she done run out on you. Man, I feel you.
4. My favorite line comes when he tells us he is "Tryin to get my Usher on but I can't let it burn." To all Usher fans from 1996 to 2003, you know that "Burn" may have been one of the best singles he dropped ("My Way" is a close 2nd). For Nelly to take a moment and pay homage to the jam that made my "Boys Suck" mix Sophomore Year of college, deserves 2 thumbs up and a shoulder bounce. Thank you! Obviously, this lady has hurt you big time (I am hoping you are singing about Kelly Rowland and your sadness that things didn't work out after your AMAZING duet "Dilemma." I really thought you two would make it. (Pause for sigh and head shake.)
5. We end this jam with the repeating of, "If you ever love somebody put yo hands up, if you ever love somebody put yo hands up, now they gone and you wishin you could give them e'er thing." Believe that both my hands are up and waving like a rhythm challenged white girl. I really haven't been in love (or to the extent that Nelly talks about), but I can't help myself. It is so incredible that I invent a new boyfriend each time I listen to this song, and then spend the next hour listening to the Dawson's Creek Soundtracks and wallow in my fictional heart ache.
Overall, this song welcomes Nelly back to the world of the awesomely bad love raps/ballads. Nelly--you brought us Country Grammar, Dilemma, Sweat suit (the 2 disc album that featured two sides of this rapper--deep!), and now this sweet ditty. I thank you for all you have done for my Play list "No Mom I Don't Have a Boyfriend." You are a man of many talents and I salute you!!!
**NOTE-this song was on repeat the whole time I was writing this post. All mistakes should be dismissed because I was caught up in a world of love and heartache
Taubel--OUT!
well, obvi this song rocks. it should be the theme to our reality show.
ReplyDeleteor something like that.
i guess it doesn't make that much sense.
we can stick with britney.