Monday, July 12, 2010

So Tell Me Facebook....

Hello All!

Let's get this out of the way--I'm a bad blogger. School is out for summer and I have been on a bit of a bender. My apologies.

Recently, I was chatting with some of my pals about the absurd amount of information that is available to us on the Facebook. Mark Zuckerburg has really done a number on this social networking thing.

Pause for a moment of facebook nostalgia (if that is even possible)-it used to be that you could get on the book of the face and the most intrusive section was your "about me" section. Many people detailed their feelings on the meaning of life, things that make them lol, and why they have the best life God could give anyone. For me, reading this section often felt like an over share, but for others it was a way to let the cyber world know how deep they truly were.

With the invention of the "I Like" button, status updates, applications, and the news feed, we now know more than we ever wanted to know about the awkward kid from our 10th grade science class.

However, there is a time when all this information provides me with a good chuckle --when people mysteriously break up via facebook. You know what I am talking about--"Jane and John are no longer in a relationship" (insert heart icon that his broken in two and an old lovey picture of the couple). I love these moments because you know there was a serious conversation about how they needed to end their relationship on facebook. Who would be the one to click on the personal information button and change 'in a relationship' to 'single?' I am lol-ing just thinking about it. Can you imagine after the yelling and tears, someone has to be like, "So how are we going to do this over facebook? Do you want to end it or do you want me to take care of this?"

I feel that this is where facebook is missing the boat. Come one guys, you tell me when Sally is feeling optimistic and quotes her favorite Spice Girl song or when Jim feels as though life keeps raining on his parade. You tell me when Stephanie likes that Sarah is going to the Lady GaGa concert or when April and Steve have become friends. You tell me all of this, but you wont tell me why John and Jane broke up? Where is your sense of intrusiveness now, facebook?

What I want to see is a reason for the break up. Like when you decide to un-relationship someone you should explain. Maybe it could be "Jane is no longer in a relationship with John because, 'John couldn't keep it in his pants' or 'Jane found out that John's eHarmony account was a load of sh*t'" If this were the case I could cancel my subscription to Us Weekly. (Yes, I subscribe to Us Weekly--it makes me feel better).

Let's be honest here, we all know those friends that like to detail their entire day for us. Sometimes it's interesting, but most times it is annoying. Wouldn't this break up option make those friends that much more exciting? Everyday would be like Gossip Girl--only the people aren't wearing strange versions of school uniforms and headbands.

I have been in a facebook relationship for the past 5 years. Yes I am one of those girls who is 'in an open relationship' with one of my friends. I thought I was being ultra cool and hip by making fun of the relationship option. Therefore, the 21 year old B Taub thought it would be HYSTERICAL to be in a relationship with another girl--because NO ONE else would think to do that. (I hope you are picking up on the sarcasm here). Now it has gotten to the point that deleting this relationship would be awkward because it would be saying, "B and J realize they need to be adults and stop having a fake relationship on FB. Also, being in this relationship solidifies B's inability to find a real boyfriend..." Wait--did I just overshare here? DAMN IT! (Maybe I should copy and paste this into the 'about me' section)

Anyways, if J and I ever fake break up over the facebook I am going to tell the world why. I am going to make it as dramatic as possible. It will most likely because she has been cheating on me for the past 3 years with her boyfriend--who, I am certain, would like to establish, to the facebook world, that his girlfriend is not a lesbian. When this happens, I am going to go big with it. If you catch our break up be sure to click the 'I like this' button.

Ok off to update my status about this blog and to stalk some random people from high school!

Taubel--OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment