Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wednesday Night Nostalgia

**I am in a hurry to get this post done. Please forgive any errors or nonsensical words. ha**

GLEE IS ON TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, like most of America, am in love with FOX for developing this gem of a show. However, the sing alongs and jam sessions have brought about an unexpected emotion with in me. Please note, I am listening to the Glee soundtrack as I type...deal with that!

In high school I was very active in Theater--pause for you all to roll your eyes and say, "that wasn't hard to figure out." I was never extremely talented in the vocal arena, but I wasn't too bad either. Most roles I got were either the dorky side kick, the older mom/maid, or chorus girl #9, but I still kick ball changed with the best of them.

I remember the feeling I got right before the curtain opened...it was a mix of "I'm about to pee my pants" and "I hope I don't fall on my ass." Being on stage really was a thrill, but since I was a mediocre high school Thespian, I was certain I would be relegated to stage hand #5 in college and beyond. So I gave up the dream of singing along side of Brian Stokes Mitchell in Ragtime....I would have also had to be skinny and black to do that, but I will blame it on my lack of vocals and rhythmical talent.

PAUSE--Lean On Me just came on my iPod...this girl can belt it! She might be my new idol. (Sorry Danny Gokey)

As you can imagine, when Glee first premiered I was AMPED!!! Here was a show that allowed me to relive the good old days of GHS. As this season progresses, I find myself downloading songs daily. I must admit, there are nights I turn up the volume and pretend I am in the Glee club. (Wednesday nights are big interesting in my apartment)

Recently, I have been wishing myself back to High School so I could be apart of this group...yes, I said it. I imagine myself belting out Broadway tunes and Britney Spears' hits with my old high school pals. Of course, I am the lead in every song. I can feel the judgments from all of you! Before you log into Facebook and de-friend me, you should know I don't think this is healthy. Here are just a few of the many reasons I think I need to stop watching Glee:

1. I am 25 and my life is pretty cool...wishing I were still in High School would be like Lady GaGa wishing she were Hannah Montanna--fun but your poker face at 15 is not as great as your poker face at 25. Getting hopped up and making bad decisions mean something totally different now then in high school.

2. These students are like Mutant singers. They get a sheet of music and then all of the sudden have a choreographed dance and harmonized song. This would not happen if I had been apart of GHS Glee. If my memory serves me right, most of our choreography centered on box steps and jazz hands. Note--this is part of the reason I love Glee. It goes back to my hope that one day life will be a musical.

3.The cheerleaders are called the Cheerios and their coach reminds me of my 8th grade gym teacher (she was about 5ft tall and very much into women). They are all very mean and way too popular. I was a Cheerleader in high school, so maybe I am sensitive that we are still depicted as mean high school girls who feed off the unpopular. Wait--did that last sentence read as if I still thought I was a cheerleader. Dear God, I need help.

4. Defying Gravity just came on my iPod--this was one of my favorite episodes. I am now crying. BTW I am in a coffee shop and people are staring at me. I feel this is a valid reason to stop watching.

5. I have started to think of Glee songs I can have my students sing at upcoming assemblies. There are so many good songs with positive messages. WTF?!?!?!?!!?!?! What kind of teacher am I? My students are five and not on a Hollywood set! They will probably not be able to stand in one place for longer then 10 seconds, let alone do an entire musical number complete with sparkle fingers and harmony.

I have only given you 5 reasons, but there are many more. I think it is good that we are getting a break from Glee. It will give me time to remember why it is cool to be 25, single, and in a major city. Oh who am I kidding, I am SO SAD that I have to wait a month or so to see the next episode! Which reminds me, I have to go prep for tonight's Fall Finale. I am going to warm up with Imagine and then Bootylicious--I always pictured myself as Beyonce in Destiny's Child. :)

Taubel--OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment