Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Where Did You Go?

Oh brother...it has been WAY TOO LONG since I updated this. Apologies aren't even where I should start. Since my last post, life hasn't changed as much, however it has become way too much fun. I am pretty sure I haven't had this good of a time since I was in college where I had an IV of Jagermeister in my arm at all times.

Instead of telling you every detail of my life, I decided to provide you with a soundtrack/video collection to the past year of not only my life but some things I found funny. OH this is like a VH1 wrap up of a year. The Best of 2011.

WARNING: This will be long but I hope entertaining and insightful.

1. I graduated from a lot of things: Graduate School (though that happened in 2010 but whatever), Second City Conservatory, iO Training Center, and from taking shots at bars. The last one isn't as in stone as the others, but I feel like I have done better at not going straight for the Jager when I enter a bar. To celebrate all of this, listen to Vitamin C (see below) and remember that Mr. Jager and I will be friends forever even though we haven't seen each other in a couple of months. On a more serious note, both iO and Second City were wonderful experiences in which I met some amazing people and friends. (I hope at this point you are watching the video and are at around 3:40 and picture me singing on those bleachers. Ugh I always wanted to be in a music video).



2. Osama Bin Laden was killed. Before you get mad at me, I do not think this is funny nor did I celebrate in the streets. I found the whole experience to be very surreal. I was a senior in high school when September 11th happened, and I remember having an overwhelming feeling of fear, sadness, and anxiety. Now, 10 years later those feelings have subsided,his death brought about a fear of what we do not know. It reminded me of how aware I became at 17, when I realized that life was not a safe bubble of Friday night football games and school dances. Rather, life was a series of highs and lows, all of which are unexpected and, some times, terrifying. I was performing in an improv show when news broke of his death. As I exited the stage, the host announced the following, "Wow guys, that was Norma Rae. Man they were funny. But what's probably going to be what you remember about tonight is the that while those ladies were performing, the United States killed Osama Bin Laden. Ok back to the funnies..." As I heard the words, I thought it was a rumor. There was no way that he was dead. As I sat through the next show, I simmered in thoughts of what this meant for our world now. What was next? How would things changed? I am not sure those questions have been answered, but like September 11th, I will never forget where I was when I heard the news.

3. On a lighter note, back to what makes all girls tick. LOVE! For all romantic decisions, I turn to Robyn to tell me how to feel. SHE KNOWS ME SO WELL! I mean people she released the JAM "Show Me Love" back in the late 90s--when I still wore my hair in a ponytail and dreamed that Rider Strong would quit playing Shawn on Boy Meets World, move to Gainesville, GA and go to Freshman Homecoming with me, but I digress. Robyn cuts me to the core. If you would like a song collection of the past 8 months of my romantic life, click on the link below and then listen to any and all Robyn jams you can. *NOTE--my romantic life is in no way as exciting as Robyn's songs. Most of it has consisted of me crushing on a boy that is either emotionally unavailable, has no idea I exist, or is in the cast of Days of our Lives. However, listening to Robyn has taught me how I would handle a boy throwing himself at me. Gentlemen--I AM PREPARED let the courting begin.



4. Y'all I WAS IN A YOUTUBE VIDEO! Now, my role was small but remember there are no small parts, only bad lighting and baby powder that is supposed to look like gray hair. See below. I hear you Mr. Academy Award--I will start writing my speech now.



5. I tried my first "At Home" workout. I did kick boxing. I looked like....a white girl trying to do kick boxing. It was ugly. I normally stick to running or not-so-complicated machines at the gym. I like to call the stair master, treadmill, and light weight area my safe zone at the XSport. I don't feel like an idiot when I am there, and I don't get upset when some over excited-too skinny woman out performs me. I got bold this winter (actually, I got lazy and didn't want to walk out in the cold). I did an ONDemand kick boxing session. I will never make this mistake again for several reasons: 1. I started making fun of myself 2. The trainer on the video was sweating like a pig 2 minutes in--um hi, aren't you the professional? Lock that sweat up lady! 3. I developed a complex on my coordination and all around athletic ability. On the up side, I could totally battle in a street fight that involved other uncoordinated white girls--I AM THE WORLD'S GREATEST! (See video below)



6. If you haven't noticed until now, I figured out how to use YouTube!! (editor's note: Becca sort of figured out youtube. I, her brother, had to edit this post to embed the youtube videos, so that you, the reader could watch them here instead of copying and pasting links). Yes, I am 27 and I know how to use the internets (editor's note: Becca sort-of knows how to use the internets), yet I still can't spell/use appropriate grammar conventions. I have used this new knowledge to look up old theme songs from the sappy teen shows I watched when I was younger. (and possibly still watch because I have the complete DVD collection--Dawson's Creek was a WONDERFUL show and I still stand strong that Season 3 was the best!) Below are links to two different shows that I LOVED. The first, California Dreams, a show about a couple of upper class California teens that had a garage band. They had it rough on the tough streets of Santa Barbara. Shocking that I was in love with the leather wearing, motorcycle riding, "bad" boy. I am sorry guys, I have and will always be a Dylan McKay and Pacey Witter kind of lady. The second, A Different World, that I attest was one of the best shows of the late 80s/early 90s. And yes I was in love with Dwayne Wayne. Guys, he had FLIP GLASSES! Furthermore, SINBAD, Jada Pickett, and most of the Cosby cast made appearances on this show! Other notable shows you should YouTube to remind yourself of their awesomeness: Perfect Strangers, Growing Pains, Blossom, Charles in Charge, and Head of the Class. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ART OF A GOOD THEME SONG GUYS?????





These are just a few highlights and they don't even begin to really describe the past 8 months. What I will say is that I am in a really good place and truly enjoying life. Yes there have been disappointments--with myself, experiences, and people. However, even with all of that, I still feel that I have a rich life that is only going to get better. USA!!!

Let's hope I can keep updating!

Taubel--OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment