Wednesday, May 12, 2010

He Remembered Me!

Hello all! Yes, I have not been updating as much...forgive me--I found a life for the past couple weeks. And by life, I mean spring has sprung in Chi-Town, thus I spend my free moments outside trying to savor every moment. October will come too quickly, and I will revert back to being a bitter, wine drinking, awkward, hermit crab. BTW-I hear you saying "what has changed?" A lot has changed! I will be totally positive peggy, I am switching to wine coolers, my awkwardness has disappeared with the winter, and I am totally mac'in it at the bars these days. Ha--who am I kidding, I would never switch to wine coolers...and a lot of those other things are kind of not true.

Like my blog, I have neglected my local coffee shop. I have been on a mission to save some cash, so I have been brewing my own joe these days. Not only am I saving money, but I am learning (slowly) what good coffee tastes like. Let's just say my first couple of pots tasted as though I brewed dirty socks.

Last week I ran out of Folgers (insert--the best part of waking up...). I had to hit up the good ole coffee shop, and I found myself a little excited. As eluded to in previous posts, I have a slight crush on the coffee guy. He is a simple man who just likes brewing coffee for the locals of Wrigleyville. Everyday he shows up in his cargo shorts, K Swiss shoes, and baseball t-shirt and pours us the greatest blends ever. (Yes he wears those cargo shorts in the winter--such a rebel!).

As I entered the shop my heart was all a flutter. I wanted to act cool, but not too cool. I wanted to seem like I had never left. But then I got to thinking, what if he doesn't remember me? What if I was just another face among the sea of patrons he sees every day? I thought all of this from the door to the register--which proved to be foolish because when it was my time to order I just stood there with a huge ass grin on my face.

Finally, he broke the ice and said, "Hey, we haven't seen you in a while. Where have you been?" To which I responded unsteadily, "Oh yeah. That. umm yeah you know just trying to save those dolla bills, yo." (insert awkward laugh and freakish hand motion). I am not even going to comment on this response because it was so absurd. He thought so to because he laughed awkwardly and then said, "The usual coffee?" I was so excited that he remembered my order that I did a little jump and said, "oh yes, coffee for me." And then I did it...I WINKED!!!!! WHO AM I??? I WINKED?!?!?!?!?! Oh whatever, I was on a high that he remembered me, and not only me but my order!! Yeah so what, my usual order is a large coffee, but that is not so generic. A lot of people are starting to order those fancy drinks complete with whip cream and stuff. I would venture to say that regular coffee is an alternative order.

I was so amped by this encounter that the following morning I made sure I looked extra nice. I even put on some shimmery eye shadow--wait shimmery eye shadow is not hip these days? Damn it! Anyways, so I confidently walk into the coffee shop.I stood in line waiting for my romantic coffee exchange and then I hear it. To the average Joe it just sounded like the coffee guy asking for an order, but to me, it was the sound of my heart breaking. My coffee guy was asking the older woman in front of me the following, "Hey, haven't seen you in a while. Where have you been? The usual coffee?"

Yes, my coffee guy had used the same cheap line on me as he had on this cougar! How did this happen? And furthermore, how could he do this to me? I thought we had something special. I thought that my large coffee was the one cup he looked forward to pouring each morning. I thought that I was original and special to him!!

I haven't returned to my coffee shop since then. It just hurts too much. I hope that one day we can get back to where we were before, but I am not sure how to do that. To ensure this time doesn't have to come soon, I bought the value pack of Folgers coffee. I will be sipping my dirty sock tasting coffee for at least another three months.

Taubel--OUT (and not to Starbucks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment