I guess I should start with where I am in life. I want to find passion and know what it feels like to be on fire. I guess I am looking for inspiration.
At 15 (and even now) I found inspiration in the late Jonathan Larson’s magical rock musical called RENT. There are many that had their lives changed by it, some who didn’t understand it and others who found simplicity in its lyrics. For me, this show breathed life into young adult years, but at the same time posed questions to life that I am not sure I am ready to answer. In the first act of RENT we are introduced to a concept of “No day but today.” One verse screams:
“There's only now
There's only here
Give in to love
Or live in fear
No other path
No other way
No day but today...”
For years I have tried to live by these words of Jonathan Larson, but it wasn’t until I read and researched more about his life, that I truly understood the meaning and pain behind this song.
Jonathan Larson wrote RENT to honor friends of his that had past away. Set in the early 90’s RENT is a show whose characters are plagued with disease, loss, and love. Most of the songs have this notion of life being a mix of unexpected obstacles and adversity, but with love and friendship it makes it all worth while. He challenges his audience to measure success not by whether you can pay rent, or that you made all the right choices, but rather measure life in love. (Reference to the popular “Seasons of Love”)
Larson died before he could see his masterpiece change the lives of many; before he could see the impact that his words would have on young people such as me. And while he has made an impact on my life he has also made me question life more than I ever though I could. Mr. Larson, how do I live in today? How do I let go and just love where I am and who I am with?
These words seem so simple and logical, but how do we do it? How do we just let go and let live? Is it when we do this that we find clarity? Is it when we do this that we begin to live? Is this even possible? Does anyone think as hard as I do about this stuff or am I that lone coffee shop freak who ponders the meaning of life too damn much?
I guess for now I will continue to blare the RENT soundtrack in my car when I am driving down I-85. I will continue to belt every solo as if it was me on that stage, and I will continue to take Mr. Larson’s words to heart. I will continue to let them challenge me on my thoughts about life. Maybe the key to finding your passion is feeling someone else’s passion.
**Picture of the late Jonathan Larson--creator of RENT the Broadway musical.
No comments:
Post a Comment